RIDBC’s long history educating children

For over 160 years, RIDBC has provided specialised education for children with vision and hearing loss, helping them reach their full potential in life.

Hearing Vision

Since 1860, RIDBC has been making a difference in the lives of people with hearing and vision loss.

For many people, when they hear RIDBC they think of our schools. In fact, it was the first part of our story. Thomas Pattison, a deaf migrant from Scotland, travelled to Australia and in 1860 established a school to be known as the ‘Deaf and Dumb Institution’ which later became the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (RIDBC).

 

Increasing speech and literacy

RIDBC owes much to the many people that have contributed to our development. One such person is Harold Earlam who, in 1911, introduced techniques and placed emphasis on teaching children who were deaf to speak. Simultaneously, for students who were blind he extended the use of braille within the school by ensuring students had access to the most suitable braille books and the latest braille equipment.

Moving to North Rocks

Synonymous with North Rocks is RIDBC. But that wasn’t always the case and the school has moved several times. After beginning in Liverpool Street, the school moved to Castlereagh Street, Paddington, Darlington and Wahroonga, before settling at North Rocks in 1963.

Select Category

Scroll to Top